Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Morality in the eye of the beholder.

After finishing Brave New World I found that the people living in that society treated John or the "savage" really disrespectfully just because he was different, and they thought he was an outcast and a reckless human. They didn't bother to be open minded and didn't bother to try and accept who we was. They just treated him like a circus freak. But to us today John would be considered more normal than the citizens of the Brave New World. This really reminded me of an episode of the twilight zone I was watching one night. It was about this lady who had plastic surgery because she was considered ugly in her world but she was actually really beautiful. The other people that were"normal" or "beautiful" were completely hideous. In the end she was exiled to a town with only "ugly" people because the surgery didn't make transformation. At the end of the epidsode the narrator said that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. After reading this novel, I think morality is in the eye of the beholder as well.

3 comments:

Anolin Ta said...

I think that morality can be in the eye of the beholder but it might not be true all the time. Someone's moral compass can be easily changed by the views of society, family and friends, and the time period.

Dekontee Tucrkile said...

Yeah,I agree.Our morals are apart of who we are. Sometimes we don't know why we have them but we just do. Also, sometimes our morals are shape by others and we compromise out moral in order to fit in. I am glad that John stayed true to who he is dispite all the problems he was getting for the other citizens.

tashiana said...

I agree with you. In Ms. Swieck's class last year, we were asked if there was a moral that was true for all societies in all times. The truth is, there isn't one. Everyone has their own idea of morality, just as everyone has their own idea of beauty or intelligence. No one can define morality for others. It depends on your upbringing and experiences.