Thursday, August 21, 2008

Controling a society?

In Amusing Ourselves to Death and I am looking for more vocab words I notice that our vocab word "Media" appears more than anything other word. The reason for doing this is simple but complex at the same time. The simple reason being that Postman wants to drive the idea that media, or more specifically television, is corrupting our society.
One thing that really caught my attention though was on page 9 when Post man says that "media favor[s] particular kinds of content and therefore capable of controlling a culture." Recently had to help my family clean out one of my family members that had passed away home and we had already had the cable turned off and my aunt said before we left that she needed some "rabbit ears" for the television to at least get channel 2 because she thought that 3 weeks with out televison was way too long.
Media is an addictant whether we believe it or not. Television being the big one that people need at the end of the day to just relax in front of and turn off their minds for awhile. Televison is like Soma from Brave New World, it controls the society so much that people have a very hard time living with out it.
Recently I went up to Hume Lake for camp and didn't have any cell phone, ipod, computer, or (you guessed it) television. I acctually had a great time and didn't even stress out about not having any of that stuff. I made tons of friends and together we had so much fun interacting with each other that we didn't even consider media as a form of entertainment.
If we can break away from media we can have a great time. Managing your time in front of the television or the computer, ect. is what we need to do though. If we spend to much time in front of them we lose touch little by little but if we don't spend enough time in front of it we can also lose touch little by little. As I said earlier, we all must manage our time carefully.

No comments: