As I was doing my vocabulary I came across the word "satire" and I couldn't fully understand the definition so I did a little research on the word. Looking through the source a found a few examples of the word in use and I saw many familiar authors and actors. Under "20th century satire" George Orwell and Aldous Huxley we're mentioned and it said that these authors used satire to "to make serious and even frightening commentaries on the dangers of the sweeping social changes taking place throughout Europe and United States." This was most like speaking of Brave New World and Orwell's 1984.
The formal definition for satire is "the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc." Satire seems to be a bit similar to parody. For example it says many recent television shows that contain satire use strong elements of parody such as The Simpsons, South Park, and Family Guy. Can you think of other examples of satire in today's society?
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satire
-Joshua Livingston
Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
The Daily Show
The Colbert Report
Parody mocks by copying, exaggerating specific features of the subject of the parody. Its purpose is to demonstrate an inherent absurdity.
Satire has the added component of social commentary and critique.
Steven Colbert parodies news anchors with his huge ego and inflated sense of self; however, his comments are almost always satirical. Both Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert are modern masters of satire and parody.
Post a Comment