I am not sure about any other of you bloggers but...Neil Postman's novel changed the way I see the media forever. Television will never be the same, neither will reading. I now will question every thing I watch and reading, wondering what importance it has on my life and whether or not it affects me.
The other day I was watching the news (it was playing on a small television at the restaurant I was at at the time, go figure right?) and as I was watching all I could think about was "Oh my goodness, this is nonsense..." The transition of a boy having half his body burned, to war, to something about how a man spent $13,000 on making a car electric. How can they possibly change the subject so quickly? For one thing, a little boy was burned because his friends, for fun, wrapped him in toilet paper and one of the boys brought out a lighter and lit the end. Horrible to think how little kids are today. Whatever happened to the three main rules of being a child??! 1. do not talk to strangers 2. do not play with sharp objects and 3....DO NOT PLAY WITH FIIIIIRE!!! Also news of the invasion of Georgia by Russia, but as this news was going on, I was enjoying my meal. There was no time to discuss what was happening in the world, the news went by to quickly. Nonsense has become of our news, it goes one ear and out the other, having no consequence to us.
Friday, August 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment