Friday, August 22, 2008

A New Age?

With the little amount of time left until school starts, I've decided to squeeze one more book into my free time; my all time favorite: Twilight. It was the start of widely popular young adult series, and soon it will become a motion picture movie.

I remember the hype and anticipation that built up for the release of the latest book of the series, Breaking Dawn. I constantly checked the internet for the "Quote of the Day" to see what may or may not have happened in the book. There were very few moments on television that promoted the book. The information about the book's release date, and where to find a Breaking Dawn release party, and even the "Quote of the Day," could be more easily be found on the internet than on television.

Can oral communication and print promote some things better than television? Would Postman categorize the internet with television in the Age of Show Business? Or has it become a new age of its own?


1 comment:

Johnnel Fajardo said...

Unfortunately, I haven't read that book series but I can see how a community can be addicted to such form of entertainment. I believe that in this generation, the internet is becoming more appealing to the society than the television because of its large scope of entertainment and information.

I believe that oral communication and print promote better things than television as these things have direct influence to the society rather than the television that have random and useless influence to the society. I would think that Postman may create a new category for the internet as the internet can provide more information and entertainment than television making it a new age of its own.