Thursday, August 21, 2008

One Last Post

I only title this "One Last Post" as it is, in fact, my last (for the assignment anyway =]). However, the title has nothing to do with the subject I wish to discuss.

After reading Postman's novel, I found myself questioning the use of much of todays media (television included). I don't really watch all that much TV and am more fond of the internet anyway, I wondered what our lives would be like if we took television out of the picture. How would we ever survive? And, more importantly, would our lives improve if we took out the factor of television?

To answer the first question: many children and teens, even adults, would claim that it is something they couldn't imagine life without. However, I believe we can funtion just fine without our daily dose of brain numbing television, our ansestors did it, why cant we? Our society may find it hard to give up television, but this is only because, as Postman said, we are conditioned to watch it and are taught from an early age to accept it for what it is.

Now for the second question: I believe that without television life would improve dramatically. We may have to find something else to do (like play an instrument, find some friends to hang out with, etc.), but academically speaking our society would probably be a lot smarter without television. Postman proved at one point that in the 17 and 1800's, people were a lot smarter than we are in now times. This isnt to say that we are stupid, but merely that we are not as prone to pick up a book and read for fun, or to sit down and actually read the textbooks that we check out from the library for pleasure (the latter of the two is a rarity among students, especially when our favorite show is on.)

I know posting about Postman is posting about something covered a month or two ago, but I had some thoughts I had to express.

Anyway, what do you think: if you had to give up television for even a month, could you? Would you? And finally, if you gave up television would you honestly sit down and read a book? (Not to say that reading isn't fun =])

No comments: