Some people will probably be expecting an exciting blog entry because of the title, sad to say, it might not be as exciting as you think, so I’m sorry if I disappoint.
Your expectations of an exciting blog is the topic that I wish to discuss because when one thinks of hearing the sound of a drum roll, something big and exciting is sure to follow it. Or more rather the emotions that we feel when we hear a sound or music in general, because I know that I expect something when I hear the sound of a drum roll.
As I came across the topic of music in middle of chapter seven in Postman’s book, I began to wonder how and why music has such a hold on our emotions. He talked about how music affected people’s mood when they are watching TV and how, for example, when one is watching the news and there is no sound or music in the background, people become more alert and aware of the news that they will deliver. Why do you think that is? What does music have that it has some sort of "power" to alter our moods?
Thursday, August 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Your point worked very nicely as it immediately caught my attention and I actually expected someone to post something like this at one point. It goes to show you that catchy titles can hook a person in a flash.
Music of course rules ones life because like you said it causes emotions and moods to stir and next thing you know you're crying or you're in joy because music just has the power to do so. I'm curious to know what it is that causes us to change our emotions based on sounds. Can anyone fill me in on that?
After I posted this blog, I thought about the topic more and I think the reason that music is able to change our emotions is because it may remind us of something that may have happened or something that we wish could happen.
So maybe it's all in our mind, and to explore this topic further, we might have to take psychology for a semester.
I think that the reason music is able to change our mood and emotions is because it has such a big part to do with our culture.
Music may not only remind us of something that happened. It captures whatever it is that we are feeling at that very moment.
Music definitely has a way of expressing whatever it is that someone is feeling.
- Tylar Holden
Well I will like to start off by saying your blog definitely didn't disappointment me.It was straight to the point and contributed some very interesting facts.
I believe music has the ability to change our emotions,because of the differents types of rhythms and sound.If you were sad you'd listen to soft music, and if your mad its the direct opposite.
Music has they power to change your whole mood.Just one song could remind someone of their first kiss, break up, or a fight they had last week.No matter what kind of music people listen to it will always be apart of the American culture.
-Aireon Harris
Post a Comment