Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Stability/Happiness vs. "High Art"

As I was skimming through Brave New World in search of a passage, I came across one that made me realize that the people in BNW would rather live a life of false happiness because they do not really have much to appreciate such as the “high art” that we have now. Their thoughts and conversations probably revolve on the same thing: anything that relates to soma, such as where they spent their soma holiday, and who they “had” or are “having.”

Is this what happens to society when we remove the accomplishments that we have made in the past? Today, is it worth it for us to sacrifice “high art” for stability or even happiness? I do not see the point of being stable when a person cannot enjoy the things that people have worked hard for in the past because one of the reasons that people work hard for something is so that other people can enjoy it, whether they are people from their time or the future. The high arts are not just something that we admire, we also learn from it. If it were not for some of the greatest writers of past, then what would our rhetoric be like today?

1 comment:

willykang said...

Happiness in Brave New World is only found through the consumption of material goods. High arts represent the uniqueness and individuality of our modern society. I think that when people are offered a source of happiness that comes easily, they would quickly use it. I believe that fake happiness provides a better source of relaxation and safety. So when it comes to terms of happiness, i think sacrificing high arts comes easily.