I was watching t.v. and I saw the John McCain political commercial. It was about how Barack Obama does not have any capability of being a President. It shows Obama described as being a celebrity rather than a candidate for president . At the end of the commercial shows John McCain saying that he would be the perfect president for the United States.
Well I was Postman's book Amusing Ourselves to Death and read Chapter Nine, Reach Out and Elect Someone. This commercial is very similar to what Postmans says about politics and show business. Before the television was the center of everyone's attention candidates would talk to the community about how they would be better for president. I don't know if presidential candidates would talk about each other back in the day but it probably wasn't as drastic as today. Many people debated for and againt politics being in the media, such as television. I think that it depends on what type of politics you would be talking about on t.v..
Wednesday, August 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Well I would have to agree with McCain and his commercial but I think it's very unclassy of a president to say such rude things about another candidate. Instead of putting Obama down, he should just highlight his qualities.
Unfortunately, more people are drawn to the so-called "celebrity" (as Postman has said in Amusing Ourselves To Death.) and McCain went to the lower level of degrading the other candidate.
Desperate times call for desperate measures.
Post a Comment