Wednesday, August 20, 2008

"Making Babies" for Fun.

As I read Brave New World I become utterly confused. Sexual intercourse seems to be an incredibly casual thing to participate in; it is even encouraged that children "play around" together. They are released into a playground, naked, and are heartened to play sexual games with each other. What I don't understand is that if sexual intercourse is encouraged at a young age, why can't people reproduce naturally when they are older? I understand that they clone so that everyone is the same, but if Deltas mate with Deltas, Epsilons mate with Epsilons, and so on and so forth, won't their children also be the same, seeing as how everyone is uniform in their own caste? It just seems to make much more sense.

3 comments:

Griselda said...

Well your idea of their reproduction makes sense but the point of the cloning is to control their growth and development. They tamper with the metamorphis that a fetus undergoes to achieve results for certain castes....

Keith Harvey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Keith Harvey said...

Well, in this seemingly perfect society there is only happiness. Undergoeing the labor of childbirth would cause pain in the extrmeties. If people are experiencing pain, then they are not happy which goes against what their society stands for.