"Television's strongest point is that it brings personalities into our hearts"
- Amusing Ourselves to Death ch.8
If anyone wanted to prove this point, all he/she would have to do is turn on their nearest T.V. Yesterday, I watched Micheal Phelps swim a few laps in the pool and already I know his favorite songs (mostly rap), the fact that he is a hardcore Baltimore Ravens fan, and that his breakfast usually consists of two egg-and-cheese sandwiches, a bowl of grits, a large omelet and a tall stack of chocolate chip pancakes. I've never even met the guy and already I feel like we are best pals.
There are, however, drawbacks to this gift of television. While millions of viewers at home are thoroughly engaged in some trivial facts concerning the Jonas Brothers or John Mayer, the media doesn't seem to be phased by the recent Russian invasion of Georgia. In fact, I remember seeing more uproar over the "controversial" Miley Cyrus photos than anything dealing with the status of Georgia or it's Russian occupants. Does anyone else find this media bias a little like...overkill? To prove my point further (as if I needed to), the top 3 yahoo searches today are Scarlett Johansson, Nastia Liukin, and Gwen Stefani. Has Gwen Stefani even done anything in the past month? Does anyone else think this **** is bananas?
There are, however, drawbacks to this gift of television. While millions of viewers at home are thoroughly engaged in some trivial facts concerning the Jonas Brothers or John Mayer, the media doesn't seem to be phased by the recent Russian invasion of Georgia. In fact, I remember seeing more uproar over the "controversial" Miley Cyrus photos than anything dealing with the status of Georgia or it's Russian occupants. Does anyone else find this media bias a little like...overkill? To prove my point further (as if I needed to), the top 3 yahoo searches today are Scarlett Johansson, Nastia Liukin, and Gwen Stefani. Has Gwen Stefani even done anything in the past month? Does anyone else think this **** is bananas?
1 comment:
Well I honestly I do think these facts are bananas.As much as I hate to admit it I didn't even know about the controversy in Georgia.Your right I could tell you how many kids Lil Wayne has or where Plies is originally from.It that shameful or what?
But I believe they way the media is they create things to distract you from the real issues.Thats why we have all these tabloid magazines and shows such as TMZ.People are natually nosey and drawn to gossip.So yea it is crazy how the media impacts our lives today but I have to say its not entirely our fault.
Post a Comment