Saturday, August 23, 2008

Our Summer Blog is Closed

Thank you for participating in our summer conversation surrounding ideas put forth by Postman, Huxley and Orwell. You are, of course, free to continue your ruminations here on the blog, but I am no longer counting any new posts or comments towards the summer homework. If I have not heard from you this summer, or if you have dropped, I will be deleting your name from the blog; you will be able to read, but you will not be able to post.

Please make sure you have your webography and your annotated copy of George Orwell's essay with you on the first day of class.

Preliminary numbers for the class are still higher than in any previous year. I collected 64 notebooks this week. If it turns out that I must thin the class out due to space constraints, I will make that decision based on the quality and completeness of the summer homework. If you do not hear from me next week, and you know that you completed all requirements, you may safely assume that a seat in the class is yours.

Thank you again, and enjoy what's left of your summer. On my side of the desk, I start a college class on Monday, and I will be taking a brief trip up to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo to visit my daughter on Tuesday and Wednesday. Golf season is starting; I have lessons to prepare, and your summer homework to grade. I finally must accept the fact that my summer vacation is over.

I had a lovely birthday today, and I was surprised and touched by your warm birthday greetings. I must say, I feel exactly the same at 51 as I did at 50. Strange.

I look forward to getting to know all of you better in the days and weeks to come.

No comments: