Thursday, August 21, 2008

Hi welcome to communism...errr utopia, can i help you?

Okay is it just me, or has anyone else seen any connections between Huxley's "utopia" and a communist government? I don't mean to sound like a guy screaming "subliminal messages!", but when Mond is talking with Marx, Helmholtz, and John he seems to be talking a lot about how they censor things out of everyday life for the "good of the society" and how certain books were outlawed because of their content, yet Mond reads them. Mond even says at one point, "But as I make the laws here, I can also break them." (219) This sounds an aweful lot like the quote used in Orwell's novel Animal Farm where "all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others."

As the books are outlawed because they have information that could potentiall corrupt the stability of the society, art, religion and history are also outlawed for a similar reason. This major censorship almost screams dictatorial government, except for the fact that everyone is equal, which is the original definition of a communist government. This government, in the novel, seems to be designed to uphold the "workers" and keep them fed and happy to keep the society intact and fully operational. One last communist-like thing present throughout the novel is the removal of the "thorns" or people who cannot properly function in a controlled environment, Bernard for example is miserable with his whole life and when he is considered "anti-social and bizzarre" he is threatened with a transfer.

Again, I only point this out because the similarities were there and this is one of the comparisons I made. What do you guys think?

No comments: