Sunday, August 17, 2008

Oh Ford!

After thoroughly reading Brave New World, I'm satisfied with the book. But, I'm uneasy about how Ford is like that of the Christian religion. I dislike how Huxley portrays God and religion as being not important. But yet, after something dramatic happens everybody in the society responds by saying, "Thank Ford" or "Oh Ford".

If religion and God aren't important in the society, why do they keep portraying Ford as Lord in our society? Why can't the people think for themsleves? The idea that the government can control everything the population does is absurd. Whether it's their faith or whether or not to take soma.

I find it weird that at the end of the book, when John and Mustapha Mond are having an arguement about the government control and religion that Mond somewhat agrees with John. Mond, who believes in God and his morals, is an interesting character. He sees what John is going through and tells him that he went through that and instead of disobeying the rules, he decids to deal with them and ends up being one of the World Controllers. Mond eventually sends Bernard and Helmholtz away, isolated to an island. I don't like the fact that Bernard wants to be sorry for everything and live a normal life like everyone else in the society. He could've at least stood up for himself at the end of the book.

1 comment:

Robert. said...

I disagree. "Ford" isn't portrayed as God in any way in Brave New World other than a phrase to express suprise, concern, or shock.

The citizens don't pray to "Ford" (although his assembly line is somewhat worshipped, though not completely as in the Christian religion).


God is a deity in our own society. If indeed the inhabitants of Brave New World saw "Ford" as their own version of God, I assure you, you would've seen much more similarity than just an expression of awe, shock, or angst.

In our present day society, the overall view is that we were created in God's own image if I'm not mistaken. The civilization of Brave New World models THEMSELVES after Ford; mass production, genetic engineering, etc etc.