As I reread Amusing Ourselves I noticed Postman's strong hate for commercials, specifically in chapter 7. He believes there are too many, has awkward timing, and it makes the actual program less serious than it is. But as I reread it my opinion of Postman's statements changed. I once saw his opinions as things I would agree with but now it seems that I question his knowledge of commercials. He doesnt seem to mention why the television stations play so money commercials, which is collect money to pay for the programs they play. Granted, I believe that their are too many and the many commercials that are being played is due to their capitalistic ways.
Another thing I noticed was that he mentioned that, during news programs, commercials were interrupting news stories, as if they were trying to accomplish a cliff hanger in which one must stay tune to watch, but I never once recalled any news program in which they interrupted a story to show a commercial. I recall that they would play the commercial after a story was finished.
I am not trying to bash on Postman's intellect or anything. Its just my opinion to his statements.Does anyone agree with my argument? Does anyone else seem to notice anything wrong with what Postman says? Does anyone see a resemblance to this book as a conspiracy type book? I ask that because I've seen and read conspiracy stories before and this book just seems to remind me of one. It seems organized like one.
~Andy Khong
Thursday, August 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Nope. Don't agree. Not a "conspiracy book."
Post a Comment