Tuesday, August 19, 2008
More Important than the President?
Well I was rereading Amusing Ourselves to Death to help look for vocab words and I came to chapter four which is entitled "The Typographic Mind" and while reading this chapter my Mom turned on the television to hear one of either Barrack Obama's or John McCain's speeches, I don't remember which. But it lasted for around 30-45 minuets which, as I read, is nothing compared to the time and preparation that presidential candidates put in about 100 years ago during the time of President Lincoln. During debates they used to go back and forth for at least 12 hours in one day which is nothing at all compared to the, at most, three hours our presidential candidates put in for their debates. Even when they weren't running for president and they just held an office of power they would still talk for hours on end. They would even have a large crowd who would listen to them intently for the entire 10-12 hours. I would think that we would have much more to talk about as well in our day in age rather than way back then. I mean, back then all they could really talk about was how to best run our own country, but now with all our communication we are left with so much more to talk about. I bet every single person reading this could name 20 things off the top of their mind that needs improvement not only in our country but in the world. It makes me wonder why so many other things in just our daily lives have become more important than choosing our next President of the United States. Especially since it effects billions of people not only in our country but around the world.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment