Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Maybe we are too Independent

In Huxley's Brave New World, the topic of indepence comes up. I see that our society is becoming the same way. Live free with no cares at all, be self-conrtolled. These things are expressed as hard and rewarding, but isn't it harder to be humble and realize that you can't do it on your own? If we truly had self- control, we would be able to resist our pleasurable desires and find something deeper, something that would last longer. We need to see past the now. If we can do that we would find that "independence was not made for man- it will do for a while but will not carry us safely to the end." (232). This is what society needs to realize. Right now many people are taking the easy way out and filling their minds will false thoughts that they can do it on their own, and that being independent is a great accomplishment. Truthfully though, I don't know how anyone could be truly happy without anyone, whether it be God or whether it be someone they love.
Rachel Fisher

1 comment:

MarianneGonzalez said...

I agree. I think that you wouldn't get plenty of satisfaction out of success and independence unless you have someone to make proud or enjoy it with. We all want to meet our needs for happiness and self-encouragement but I think we would feel even better if we share our success with another person. And I agree that we should search for more lasting and beneficial happiness than short. I think humans are really meant to feel as much emotion as possible to understand the world around them. In order to do that, we need to interact with other people. I can't imagine being emotionally detached and looking for artifical satisfaction(soma).