Monday, August 18, 2008

Voting for the wrong reason?

In Chapter 9 of Amusing Ourselves to Death, Postman writes about the effects of television on politics, and I can't help but notice how true this is. With elections coming up, a majority of the commercials you see on TV are of one candidate usually bashing his opponent, but the one candidate looking good and talking about the things he plans to do to change the country if he is elected. You know which ones I'm talking about. Postman says we focus our main attention on the candidate's personal life, rather than what they can do for the country, and that is what persuades us to vote for them. Truth is, we are very caught up in government officials' lives. For example, whenever the news of a governor, senator, or even a president possibly having an affair, it is all over the news. People want to know about it, and are easily entertained by it. Instead of saying "Oh, so-and-so is making a great effort to end war," we say things like "Did you hear? So-and-so had an affair. How sad!" and things along those lines. I definitely think Postman is right. Would we really want someone with a bad reputation running our country? I really don't think so, and this persuades us to vote for the other candidate. What do you think about this?

No comments: