Saturday, August 16, 2008
What's Important Anymore?
I was reading Amusing Ourselves to Death and I had just come to the “Now…Then” chapter, and at first it was hard for me to grasp the concept of what he was saying. I was reading about how news channels jump from one topic to another and only give each topic so much time. Postman was talking about how the media will talk about one topic that is of some importance and then jump to some completely irrelevant information about something we care nothing about. A while later as I watched the news I understood firsthand exactly what Postman was talking about. The news anchor started off talking about the current civil war in Russia and Russia invading Georgia, they briefly started to show a speech by Bush and his advice for Russia, but after about only a minute they quickly switched stories to inform me about a bar brawl. A topic in which I have no interest and which has no worldly effect. I don’t understand how the media can take a topic such as war and mush it together with something like a bar brawl? There’s not much we can do about either, but I believe that these two topics are on two completely different levels of importance. Considering that as teenagers we’re always being told to know what’s going on in the world, I believe it’s the war in Russia that deserves more time on tv then a bar brawl. After watching the news I believe I’m starting to understand what Postman was trying to say, why does the news take every piece of information and put it on the same level of importance, doesn’t something like a war deserve more attention then something that happened in a bar?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I agree with what your saying about the level of importance. Some stories are usually intertwined with stories that offer no political or intelligent news. But have you considered the locality (if that's even a phrase) of the story or the station. Some stories are given air- time because they are local. Not that it makes them on more important, but it's just a thought as to why they hold the same importance. Less intelligent people probably would like to see what's going on in their backyard rather than in neighboring countries.
I've definitely seen this apparent in news channels. For example, they will be talking about one story, then flip over to something completely different, like a police chase. I'm not saying police chases aren't important, but if I'm really into the previous story, I get kind of bummed to see something completely different take its place.
But I also agree with James about the location factor of it.
Post a Comment