Thursday, August 21, 2008

Knowing America

Something caught my eye as I was reading Postman, he had said that in early America that "reading comprehension" tests today would seem silly, even illogical. Today, reading seems more of a chore, people would much rather have things made audible, so they can hear what they need to rather then read. Speaking from expericence, I too once found reading a chore, though still very much in love with tv, I have taken into consideration what Postman wrote and am now thinking about what I see on the screen, analyzing every second. I am going to start taking up reading the paper so as to educate myself on what is going on in the world, in our own country.

America is, I'd say, one of the most ignorant countries in the western world. On 60 Seconds, they had conducted a study. A test was given about American history to American students and students of western Europe, and the western European students had significantly higher scores than the American one's. What does that say out our educational system? About our society?

I shall encourage to TRY to take up reading the paper every once and a while, you maybe surpriesed to find that, at times, it is actually quite interesting and the feeling you have when you know and understand the world, is priceless.

2 comments:

gellissa carrillo said...

Our educational is functional but I believe it could be better. Although no one likes the idea of school being harder, I think it should. We should be challenged to study not babied with things the school board thinks we can handle. Or whoever is in charge of what we learn. See? I don't even know who's in charge of our education system. Nor do I know who the Senator or Congress are. I believe it just shows how influential the media is in convincing us that those things aren't important.

Lauren Ross said...

I agree with your statement that about America being one of the most ignorant countries in the western world. We live in our own world. A world with media that rarely talks about anything past the American boundaries unless it involves us.

I've never been to keen with history, but I do believe that American history shouldn't be too hard for Americans to remember. I feel embarrassed to know that European students, with a history MUCH longer than American, can know our history better.

Americans are glued to the present, the now. The past doesn't have much significance to us, unless we really like it.