Monday, August 18, 2008

The Nine Years' War and WWI

I recently finished Brave New World, and I've been flipping through it again, trying to link references in the book to real events that took place before or during the time it was written. One parallel I noticed on my first read was the similarity between the aftermath of the Nine Years' War and that of World War I.
"People still went on talking about truth and beauty as though they were sovereign goods. Right up to the time of the Nine Years' War. That made them change their tune all right. What's the point of truth or beauty or knowledge when the anthrax bombs are popping all around you? That was when science first began to be controlled - after the Nine Years' War. People were ready to have even their appetites controlled then. Anything for a quiet life." -Mustapha Mond, chapter 16
I think this has a sriking resemblance to the attitude of 1920s and 30s England after the First World War. It was an era of disillusionment, and the people turned to blind pleasure as a sort of mass defense mechanism. People were eager for cheap and easy entertainment, and life became all about fun, especially for the younger generation. The 'Bright Young Things' were a group of upper-class young adults who indulged in debauchery and decadence, socialites who led a life similar to those in the future Huxley warns against; they didn't care, as long as they had their bread and circuses.

According to Wikipedia, Mustapha Mond gets his first name from Mustapha Kemal Ataturk, who founded Turkey after WWI and "pulled his country into modernisation and official secularism". Though Mond did not form the World State, I think the situations of the two are similar enough to assume that the turning point of the Nine Years' War symbolizes that associated with WWI.

No comments: