Was doing a little research just now, and found a great site on political euphemism -- which then lead me to an article discussing the origin of the phrase "enhanced interrogation techniques." Those of you who follow this little trail will be rewarded with insight into Orwell's purpose in writing that essay, and the realization that the torch for clear language must burn bright because the tendency toward obfuscation and misdirection are as strong as ever.
You can bet I'm going to find a way to work this into our first test (Sept. 9th) somehow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
The internet fueling tests?
I think I just threw up in my mouth.
Robert, what did you read? I don't know what you're talking about and I'm super curious to know what caused such a strong reaction, be it literal or figurative.
Unless I read it wrong, you'll be working that linked website into one of our tests?
Excuse the confusion. I was asking a question. I really did throw up in my mouth. I'm a bit under the weather.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I probably shouldn't have posted the latter.
Post a Comment