Thursday, August 14, 2008

Getting to know Yourself.

In Brave New World their motto is "Community, Identity, Stability." They feel that if everybody has a specific title, job, and place in the world then their community will be comforatble, stable, and safe. In some of the characters' cases they are confused by this. They don't fit or they stand out more than the average Joe.
If we were all born into this world with our life planned out would we be happy?
If we all looked the same would we feel happy because we didn't have to compete?
If we were able to be with whoever you wanted to be with, would you be happy?
In the case of this dystopia, most people are very satisfied. But some are veryyyyy unhappy.
What do they do to help with this unhappiness? Take soma?

4 comments:

aireon harris said...

I personally do not believe anyone could be happy with their destiny already predetermined for them.I mean thats one of our rights as human beings to able to choose exactly who we want to be.

Yes,it would make issues as far as appearance much more easier.With I think people would become bored seeing the same thing everyday.What happens to individuality within the society?Do we just let it fade away?

I honestly believe people would find it exciting to have the opportunity to be with whom ever they want at first, especially with all the possiblities.With that people would never know what emotional stability feels like.Everyone should be able to experience a stable relationship
at least once in their lifetime.

- Aireon Harris

ray said...

This is a very good blog. There isn't a person in the world who could be happy with their life already predestined for them. Everyone who is anyone wants some excitement in their lives. They should be able to make their own choices. If we all looked the same the world wouldn't haave to worry about the perfect body. There also wouldn't be any beauty pagaents that mostly put people down because they aren't as beautiful as the pagaents. As Aireon said, I feel someone should be able to experience some sort of relationship in their life. The soma is their way out of everything. If they can't deal with anything they take soma. It beats them in the long run also. It's like Superman's kryptonite.

kirsten shay said...

Personally, if I had my life planned out for me I know I would be very unhappy. I like having choices and being able to decide what I want to do in the future, I like being able to decide what to do each day. I like knowing that we're all different from one another, no two people exactly the same. If these things were taken away from me I know I would have a hard time dealing. We were born with the rights to make these decisions and I'm very glad we were. I can't imagine taking soma to cure unhappiness even though today there are things very similiar to that. I don't think that taking soma can solve all problems, maybe put them off for a while, but solve them, no.

Anonymous said...

I personally would not be happy if my life was planned out for me before i was born. We become who we are throughout our lives. Like Kirsten said, Knowing that there isn't another exact person like you is good. Life throws curve balls and has its ups and downs, so if our lives were planned out for us then those ups and downs would make problems worse.

People should be able to choose who they want to be with and who they want to spend the rest of their life with. And if you can't do that then what's the point in wanting to be with someone you can't?

Some people do take soma because I think that they can't hanndle what to do with their lives. They get to a point to where they can't thnk and just need something to make things seem better.