One of the major themes in Brave New World is conformism. There are an incredibly broad range of topics the World State citizens conform to the state's expectations about - for the purposes of this (my final!) blog, I'm interested in their conformist fashions. Their conformism is not by direct choice - they are required to dress accordingly to the color of their caste.
Our society is beginning to reach a similar, though not quite as extreme, level of stylistic conformity. (This is the part where you shake your head and mutter, "Silly Jessica, our society is full of individualists and wacky dressers!" [I do believe that's the first time I've ever used the word 'wacky' in my life]) What I think is interesting about our society today is that we have many conformists in denial. Think about it. I'm not trying to be stereotypical here (I'm not classifying the person, only the clothes), it is what it is: goths dress like goths. Indie kids dress like indie kids. Punks dress like punks. Avant-gardists dress like avant-gardists. And notice I'm not even mentioning the hordes of brand-label dressers with which the mall runneth over. All of these 'non-conformists' are conforming to whichever brand of non-conformism suits them.
I don't know - is it possible to be truly original in the way you dress? One of the most common things people use to describe their sense of style is unique - as an example, they'll tell of how they drew all over their white vans with colorful magic markers, or stitched a patch onto their tote bag. But seriously? I had three girls in my math class do both of those last year. They all loved talking about how stupid they thought 'Hollister girls' were - "They're all alike!" was one of their catchphrases. Ah, irony.
I'm not saying there's anything bad about sticking to trends, I'm just curious. For those who strive to break out of society's mold, is it possible for them to dress to reflect that?
Friday, August 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I do love irony...haha because...ironically, I was talking about this topic today with my friend. I do not think it is possible at all to dress individually because everything is mass produced, it is your thought and and creativity that goes into your outfit that makes it individual.
ps...you know you've used wacky before!! xD
Post a Comment