Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Media vs. Religion

In chapter eight of Amusing Ourselves to Death, Postman writes about how the media affects religion and its role in television. Postman writes about a variety of religious television shows and how the "electronic preachers" often use celebrities to help boost their ratings and add to the entertainment factor of that specific show. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the main goal of religion isn't to be entertaining, it's to outreach to people about that specific religion. Anyways, Postman goes on to write about the main differences of actually being in a church and just watching a religious program on television, which I found to be quite true. For example, if you are watching a religious show, you can easily get caught up in doing other things or getting side-tracked, whereas in church, you devote your full attention to the sermon. Additionally, with televised programs, you can change the channel; in church, you can't just turn off a preacher. What are your opinions on this? Are preachers like Billy Graham purposely trying to bring entertainment into religion? I personally believe they really aren't, but I can definitely see where Postman is going and agree with some of his points.

4 comments:

kirsten shay said...

I agree with this. Although I am not a religious person I do believe that the main goal of religion is not meant to be entertaining. The way the media had formed religion and the way it is advertised on television is demeaning to religion. I feel as if the way it is portrayed on tv makes religion less sacred and makes it less about jesus but more about entertaining, and about the viewers.

Joshua Oronce said...

Well I don't think they are purposely trying to bring entertainment into religion. I think that when they first start off these religious shows that they realize what they need to do to get attention, so they adapt to the way of show business to try and gain viewers. I'm sure they don't mean to, but eventually they become accustomed to the show business ways and permanently get corrupted by it and start thinking more like an advertiser rather than a preacher. So even though the idea of spreading religion through television seems like a good and effective idea, they should stay separate from eachother.

CierraLundy said...

As Josh said, I don't think those preachers are purposely turning religion into entertainment. I think they have gotten to such a desperate state that they will do anything to have their preaching heard.
With our culture thriving on entertainment, it probably sounded like a good idea to make religion televisible. I think their intentions were good but fell short.

AFletcher said...

If you believed that it was your responsibility to bring the word of God to the biggest possible audience -- to evangelize -- then TV would seem to be a panacea, a blessing, a godsend! Millions in moments! Religion and the conversion of souls as a numbers game: God 952, Satan 951 -- we're winning!

But if your goal is talk about authentic spirituality with people, to help people approach the ultimate mystery and sacrality of human existence, then television as a vehicle for this conversation is a profane absurdity. The medium is the message.