Friday, August 22, 2008

Sounds like McCain.

I came across another passage in Brave New World that reminded me of the current presidential election.

"I sometimes get, a feeling that I've got something important to say and the power to say it - only I don't know what it is, and I can't make any use of the power...it's not enough for th ephrases to be good; what you make with them out to be good too" (73).

It is very similar to all presidential elections. The canidates can say anything they want in order to get the support of potential voters. They can promise anything and use propaganda to lure people in, or make people feel sorry for them like McCain being a POW, which is totally irrelevant to what is going on NOW. And once the canidates get all their voters, and they win the election, then they have the "right" to do abselutely nothing that they promised they would. That in turn would make voters angry but there is nothing they can really do about it. The new President will just be sitting at their desk with a smug smile on their face. Why say anything if you can't back it up with the action? Why not follow through with your promises? I guess that's politics for you.

No comments: