Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Television Programs...

In chapter ten Postman's book, Amusing Ourselves to Death, he mentions how television programs are based on entertainment. Such as "Sesame Street". At first I had excepted that "Sesame Street" was an educational program as Postman says in the beginning of the chapter, "This does not mean that 'Sesame Street' is not educational. It is, in fact, nothing but educational- in the sense that every television show is educational"(143-144). But educational programs teaches children to love school only if it is like television. What is you think about this? Do you think school should be like television? Are we to blame television? Or not? I think educational television programs and school are two different ways of teaching a child because a child can watch television whenever he/she feels like it. However attending school is required by the law.

Also, in chapter ten Postman talks about "The Voyage of the Mimi". I'm still not really clear on what was “ The Voyage of the Mimi” about. Was it an educational program that taught students in a fun way?

-Joyti Gore

1 comment:

Mackenzie C. said...

Personally, I believe television and school are two completely different methods of learning. While television still can be educational, actually going to school is more effective that just watching a show on TV. Technology has definitely made an impact in the classroom, but I don't think it should completely replace the classroom environment.

About the "Voyage of the Mimi," I think it was an program that was meant to help with learning, but actually turned out to be more entertaining than educational. But I'm not quite sure.