Soma- An intoxicating or hallucinogenic beverage, used as an offering to the Hindu gods and consumed by participants in Vedic ritual sacrifices.
Soma is also a prescription drug.
In Brave New World, soma is their one and only vice. If they for some reason had a bad day(which would more than likely not happen) they would take a gramme. If they just wanted that extra boost, they would take about three somas with their coffee.
Fanny Crowne and others say Bernard Marx had alcohol put into his blood-surrogate when he was still in the bottle. If that's a bad thing... then why do they take soma? Do they really know what it is?
Science has taken over the world to where there are no flaws and no one can "beat the system". This is only true because they don't know what the real world is.
But.. Bernard is on his way in doing so.. He doesn't like soma and doesn't want this organized world.
When I first started reading this book I was bored and having some trouble wanting to finish it... but now... I'm interested.
2 comments:
Science has taken over the world to where there are no flaws and no one can "beat the system". This is only true because they don't know what the real world is.
I have one quick problem with this one. I think science is good-I LIKE to understand things.
Deranged people who abuse science and technology have taken over the world.
I like Bernard, he's a rebel.
Oh, and one more thing... They take Soma because it makes them feel better...
The "civilized people" in Brave New World were conditioned to take soma whenever they feel gloomy. Knowing that they never question their conditioned responses they probably don't care that soma cuts their lifespan.
Post a Comment