I've read earlier posts that people have written about the lack of individuality in Brave New World and in the world today and most include things like style and appearance to individuality.
I don't think anyone could really differentiate themselves from others by wearing outrageous clothes, or crazy hairstyles, people might think they're being an individual but they're really not. They just take bits and pieces from what they see on other people and put it all together. Individuality isn't how you choose to dress or anything having to do with your appearance, it's about your thoughts and personality and actions, that's what makes you an individual. They do try to control all this in Brave New World but there are citizens such as Hemholtz and Bernard and even the Director who do stray from the typical thoughts and feelings. Even personality and thoughts cam be influenced by other people but we all have thoughts and traits that only we, ourselves, can explain and relate to, which really makes us an individual. Dressing the same or talking the same or listening to what others do isn't really going to make you like everyone else. The thoughts and feelings that you have and what you choose to do about them is going to make you different. Each individual person can feel two completely different emotions from the same thing and that is a perfect example of how different each one of us really is.
-Ariana Allison
Thursday, August 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I completely agree with this. I had posted a previous blog about individuality and it had a lot to do with appearance and clothing but shortly after posting it, it sort of clicked that individuality is so much more than that. While, I still do believe that by certain aspects of your appearance you express individuality I also believe that it's your thoughts and actions that makes you an individual, along with many other things. I realized later on and after reading this blog, that me and my best friend are alike in the way we dress and hairstyles and some say we even look alike, but our thoughts and our actions couldn't be more different. When asking us a question or how we would react in a situation, our answers would be completely different. It shows that even though we look alike we're completely different. This made me realize that while your appearance does help assert some sense of individuality it is your thoughts and actions that ultimately helps assert your individuality.
Post a Comment