Reading Louie's post on her trip to Mexico sparked a memory of my own summer trip, except for different reasons. This summer I went on a cruise to the Caribbean with 14 other family members. Now when I think about it, us Americans didn't have to separate from our beloved luxuries. All 1,000+ rooms had a television set conveniently placed, and a radio as well. On the ship I watched a lot of television when I could of been enjoying myself on the deck or taking part in activities. I even decided to leave the island early to go back on the ship on some of the days so I could relax in my room with the television on. And it doesn't end there. Wii, Rockband, Guitar Hero, and other video games were available in the teen club. Some of the bars had multiple TVs, and a movie was played in the theater on some of the nights. There were also 20+ computers with internet access available, as long as you had a wallet. It was $28 an hour, and the sad thing is that the room was filled much of the time. Though I didn't even touch a computer, my cousin spent his money to go on myspace. Every room had a telephone that could be used to call for room service and information, to place reservations for activities, and to call other rooms free of charge. Telephones were even placed by the elevators for convenience. Even much of the planes today play a movie or two (depending on how long the flight is) and an airline radio. This just proves how much people, especially Americans, rely on electronics. What other examples are there that prove how much people rely on electronics for entertainment? Have any of you experienced situations that made you realize how we live off these luxuries?
2 comments:
There was a blackout one time. I wanted to go on the internet, then I realized no electricity, no connection. I had three hours of power on my laptop so I decided to save it to listen to music if the blackout lasted a long time. My family and I pulled out some flashlights and candles. I worked on a puzzle and read before it became dark. We had dinner by candle and flashlight. Then we played cards and my grandfather told us some stories from when he was a kid in the Phillipines during World War II. After dinner, I pulled out my Nintendo DS and CD player and turned them on while playing cards. Then I went to bed and the next morning I was informed that the power came back at about midnight. (Right before I fell asleep!)
That's when I really realized how dependent on technology we all are and I know life without all my electronics would be tough. (But life without books is even worse.)
Just a short comment, but I have to say something before I forget.
I remember taking a trip to the San Diego Zoo & heard the tour bus driver would talk about how they tried to make the surrounds similar to that of a rain forest, and the irony of it was that my seven year old brother looked around and said, "I don't think they have escalators in the jungle."
Post a Comment