Saturday, August 2, 2008

Puppets on a String.

From the time the "controllers" were mentioned in Brave New World, it peaked my curiosity and I waited for more information on them. In my mind, I saw Bernard, Lenina, and the others on strings controlled like a puppet doing tasks they didn't choose. I'm not sure if the subject was touched upon afterwards and I just missed it, but now I wonder the controller's involvement in society.

Are they like the other's drugged up, living the easy life on soma? I thought about it and realized, it couldn't be the case. In order to keep the society on check I think it is necessary for the controllers to be familiar with the past "world" in order for them to prevent people to reverting to their predecessor's ways. Furthermore, I wonder what exactly do these controllers get from controlling the world. Is there money to be made from these disposable people? Do the controllers like the thought of sheer control of the people? Do they honestly believe that in doing this they are making the world a better place? Or are they just outright insane?


--Trisha Janelle Gragera

3 comments:

jdeleon said...

They are simply insane. The controllers of this world do not know exactly what went on before their time and when they were chosen to lead the society to better lives, I suppose they past was tweaked up enough to make it seem absolutely horrible. They were trained to look only ahead as an alternative to all around them. It is not their fault that they were brought up as horses with blinders on the side of their faces to prevent them to truly think for themselves. So, they are in a way puppets in this unethical experimental world.

AFletcher said...

If you call someone insane, you no longer have to think about them or deal with them. It's one way to dismiss an entire culture.

MarianneGonzalez said...

I don't think they are ENTIRELY insane. There ancestors most of them lived in a world similar to ours. But because humans progressively started to search for pure happiness and extinction of all unpleasantness, the brave new world has become the result. Generation taught the next generation and the next generation about creating a completely bliss society. (most likely because of science)Once they discovered a drug or something that could change the way they feel they might of said "why not change our way of life before we're even born?." The world changed mostly out of curiosity. And also want for power and total control of nature. They don't know any other life than the life they know they accomplish and what lessons they've learned.