The society in Brave New World is not aware that anything else is out there because they grew up thinking that way. They know nothing else, which is not their fault. The creator of this world tried depriving them of legitimate happiness thinking it was for the best. Perhaps this creator lived a horrible life and attempted to save the rest of the world from suffering as well. It reminds me of parents who wish nothing negative to happen to their children, although this is inevitable. They simply want them to live a better life than they personally did. It is a pleasant gesture, but it can only exist in an imaginary world. The drugs and sex are merely distractions. They will not miss what they never had. The fact that this gesture reminds me of a paternal move is ironic because this type of love is prohibited and is found quite revolting. The characters in this book remind me of confused children who go by whatever their mother says because, of course, mother knows best. Or is it just the expected outcome of our society chasing perfection?
-Jessenia De Leon
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I feel the people of the society in Brave New World are to scared to live their own lives because they're not the kind of people who deal with consequences very well. Like when Bernard finds out he is going to be isolated from the society. I think the society chasing perfection is a good reason why the society is the way it is.
I disagree with your comment Ray. You are forgetting that the people of that society do not make their own choices. They live by the standards of their rank and programming. They don't know any better. They can't exactly choose. They have been brought up knowing one way of life and one way of life only. And that would be the sex, the fun, and the soma. They aren't scared, because they don't know what fear is. They only know pleasure and that's all that matters to them.
Jessie you're idea of the creator trying to protect them from horrible things is a possible and rather valid idea. But even so, raising children, so to speak, in a world of pleasure doesn't seem like the creator has their very best interests at heart. But who knows.
Perhaps mother does know best...
I like the thought you brought up about how the creator might have had a life and childhood and sees it as a negative experience and is only trying to protect his "children." I think the negative lessons and stories they are told only make matters worse though. Being told not to do something or how bad it is only makes you want to see for yourself. Leaving the idea of family completely out of the citizen's heads would probably been best. But even the most confused, obedient children are bound to break some rules.
- Ariana Allison
I agree. They have a different morality than our society because the people are doing only what they know and what they are told. And I agree that they are doing this in search for perfection. They only ways for the "brave new world" to change is for the children to start thinking for themselves and start becoming independent instead of dependent.
I agree that the people in the society of the novel Brave New World are not aware of things out there because they grew in a society where they did not make decision for themselves. But instead the controller makes the decisions. Also, I think this kind of world is not possible because I do not think that things like religion can be removed from a society.
Post a Comment