Friday, August 1, 2008

New Life in the Factory?

As I start reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, it seems to become much more of a bore to me. Though, I am content with how it moves along and becomes much more extravagant, uncanny, and unusual. I have no idea why Huxley presents the setting in the years after the death of Gerald Ford, such as the term "A.F. (after Ford). As the novel started, that was when it becoame a bore to me. I wasn't able to understand how The Director of the factory was explaining to the group of students that reproduction have been exiled or "replaced." As I try to interpret the chapter, I had to go back and re-read it twice. I was appalled when The Director said that reproduction has been replaced by surgically removed ovaries that reproduce ova that are fertilized in artificial receptacles and then incubated. The unusual part of the story is when Huxley presents the sexual content in the midway section of chapter two and so forth. I would believe that Huxley would have a higher intellect than to expose this kind of content in the novel, as of minors may get a hold of the novel and think this is amusing. It is not much of a problem for myself though because I would just get over it. Another part that seemed to be appaling to me was when in chapter two the Director demonstrates how toddlers are prevented by entering "the outside world" by giving them electric shocks to them as they approach books and flowers. He explains that this will make them not care for learning more and exploring much more of "the outside world." I am moving along as everyone else who wants to be involved in AP English 11 and nearly done with the novel. Thank you for for reading my blog and hope for you to read more.

~Jake Bonifacio

4 comments:

jessica matson said...

The Ford referred to by their dating system is acutally Henry Ford, not Gerald. Henry Ford invented the Model T vehicle, and he stands as a symbol of the mass production and efficiency thats has become so important in this society.

padawanariana said...

I found it very baffling and boring in the beginning as well but it began to catch my attention with all the strange procedures and rules. The sexual events between children and electric shocks do seem immoral but in some cultures what seem people may seem as wrong may be right to others. Everyone has their own view.

-Ariana Allison

Tomato said...

I feel that the beginning is very slow, we are introduced to some random Director explaining the mass production of humans which sounds very odd. I don't see how and why these people see Ford as a god. All he did was create the idea of mass production. The world that they live in is boring nothing new comes from it, everything is played out and controlled, like in "Pleasantville."

Diamond Huffman said...

Yes, I too feel as though BNW started off slow but as I begin to get deeper into the book I realized that it wasn't that bad of a book after all. There were many things in the book that i disagreed with which basically included their way of life and the fact that these immoral creatures had NO respect for themselves but that's because they were hypnotized not too. BNW seems to have many diffrent point of views.