I've just finished Aldous Huxley's Brave New World, and understand it much better than before. All my questions from my other post have been answered as I progressed with this book. I have a better knowledge about soma, which this society couldn't perform physical activity without. The author did a good job of predicting this in the future, because everyone now days uses drugs to help them. We use Tylenol when we have headaches, or Claritin for allergies. These pills are used everyday on a daily basis, just like how soma is for Brave New World. I also understand the Savage's character traits, which before weren't as vivid in the beginning chapters. There was a lot of imagery that I had missed, and had re-read it. The best thing I liked about this book was the choice of words, or diction, the author used. I learned a lot of new words that I've never seen before. I like how each chapter's ending paragraph sets the tone or mood of the next chapter. However I didn't understand one thing about this book, which was the ending paragraph. "Slowly, very slowly, like two unhurried compass needles, the feet turned towards the right; north, north - east, east, south - east, south, south - west; then paused, and after a few seconds, turned as unhurriedly back towards the left. South - south - west, south, south - east, east...."(P.259). I don't understand what he's trying to imply, say, or illustrate. My guess is that he's dying but it doesn't sound right.
-rishabh mehta
Friday, August 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Rishabh, it seems as though our very good friend John may perhaps have hung himself.
He did die Rishabh, and like Sergio said, he hung himself because one can not die facing or moving in all directions, that explains the north, south, west, and east.
Post a Comment