As I was reading Brave New World I found myself objecting to some of the ideas brought about. Some of those ideas such as the Bokanovsky’s Process seems to be the opposite of everything we fight for today. For example Bokanovsky’s process creates duplicates of everyone, as duplicates are created, individuality is lost. It seems to me that individuality is so important to us today and this idea devalues it. When I walk around school I see everyone trying to be different, trying to find their own unique ways of expressing who they are. From piercings in odd places, to eccentric hair colors, or simply to the way they dress, everyone is looking for a way to be different, for a way to express their individuality. But Bokanovsky’s Process just creates tons of the same people, where has individuality gone? Is this what we’re coming too? Is the world becoming so obsessed with stability and perfection that we are losing sense of who we are and our individuality.
6 comments:
You bring up a good point Kirsten. However, I believe that this is more of a destruction of individuality rather than a decrease in one. I think that the government is trying to lessen the individuality in order to provide stability and, more likely, decrease the chance for rebellion of any kind. In other words, if you have the ability to practically program the thoughts of your people, you can altogether eradicate rebellion and instill obedience. That is what I think is the point behind all this.
I somewhat agree with your statement. Yes, i do believe that some people are trying to be different and individual, but what about the others? In my opinion, society is mostly composed of the followers, who follow trends and tries to be like others, or fit in. Most of us try hard not to be too different, but also have a personal style of our own. I don't think individuality really applies to anyone anymore. For example, everyone's the same and tries to be the same, but in different ways. Only being individual in small details.
The only thing that stands out and are actually different from each other are the various trends and fads. Although, they are not similar in most ways, within each style, everyone is practically alike. I guess thats as individual as you can get.
I do agree with your points. However, some people today don't really seek individuality. People giving in to peer pressure lose there individuality. Instead of doing things their own way, they try to copy the things others are doing, in order to have a sense of belongingness. It is not entirely negative because some people do good things through peer pressure. If we take our peers as our role models, we should make sure that they could influence us in a positive way. However, I believe that the best way to be an individual is to do things our way and do it positively. One should believe in his/her own capabilities and should be able to descern right from wrong. That way, we won't lose our own sense of uniqueness.
Though you do bring up a good point, one can also say that the people of today's society are trying to blend in. When looking at the teenage population, trends occur and it is no surprise that many students follow these trends. Many claim that they strive for individuality, yet they buy clothes from stores that much of the teen population shops at. One could also look at adults. Many adults in today's society do not try to express their opinions and individuality because it may result in the loss of one's job or respect. I do understand that there are exceptions to this, but this is the general idea. Peer pressure can be at blame, but other factors also impact our loss of individuality. When people do try to be unique and express their individuality, others label them as outcasts. I believe that Bokanovsky's Process represents an extreme aspect of how a portion of our society is today. We do have people in our population that do stand out, but a significant number of people do follow the styles and ideas that are popular.
I agree with you Angeline. People in our society don't seek individuality. They seek to be a part of a group or crowd. When teens give into peer pressure, they lose themselves completely.
I think the only reason that people are pulled into peer pressure is because they feel that they have to belong. By giving into oeer pressure they give up themselves to do what other people are doing. They have no sense of themselves.
I agree with your points on individuality in today's youth and society.It seems like these days some people just hand over their right to individuality.Everyone wants to fit in, and feel as though they belong especially in high school.So people see whats in and figure they got to do to.
I feel this occurs because the all time favorite peer pressure.Since it is normal for people to want to fit in they unknowingly subject themselves to following others.When really their just searching for an identity that fits them.
Post a Comment