Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Can you say "Hypocrites"?

Throughout my reading of Brave New World, I have noticed many examples of the people acting like a bunch of hypocrites. In this futuristic society, there is no “God”; however, there is Ford. For example, when we would say,”Thank God” in relief, they would say, “Thank Ford”. Another example of their hypocrisy is when they are talking about our beliefs: Mustapha Mond justifies our believing in Heaven, immortality, the soul, etc. by saying we “consumed enormous amounts of alcohol” and we “used to take morphia and cocaine”. OK, if they want to use that as an excuse, I would love to here them justify soma. Wasn’t soma described as,”euphoric, narcotic, the perfect hallucinate”? Then I suppose we are no different than they are. Everything they truly believe in that we consider weird or abnormal, can be blamed on soma. So what do you guys think, do you guys agree or am I just raving like a madman here?

2 comments:

mmadrigal said...

I agree completely. I would say why but you proved the point in your blog.

We have god, they have Ford.
We have drugs and alcohol, they have soma.
We have school, they have concious learnings.
We have families, they have factories.


Of course the story is based on hypocrisy... They're based on the past which is us now. They don't know what else to do.

MarianneGonzalez said...

I agree that the characters express plenty of hypocrisy. Mustapha Mond talked about trying to "forget the old ways." They tried to escape from old tradition and search for the new and the pleasant. But they just invented several newer versions of older versions.