Some people are not the sharpest crayons in the crayon box, if you know what I mean. They need to think about what they are going to say before they say it. For example in chapter 11 in Amusing Ourselves To Death, Ms. Ellen Babcock and her family participate in the "TV Turnoff" in Farmington, Connecticut. The whole point is to not watch television for a month. The last one held was widely covered by the media. Ms. Babcock says, "It will be interesting to see if the impact is the same this year as last year, when we had terrific media coverage." She doesn't understand the irony in what she said. She wants people to watch TV so they will stop watching TV. And then how people want Postman to go on TV to promote his book and ideas. Again that would be going against what he had been saying in his book.
Why can't people watch TV? I think it is fine to watch in small quantities. I agree with saying people who sit around and watch TV all day are lazy. I would even say that they are losers. But if thats what they want to do then so be it. But they are not contributing to the world in any way. To media, yes, but not to the actual world or anything important, hence the name loser. Some of the shows on TV are educational and not just for entertainment. Like the Discovery channel. Those shows don't always have music in the background for entertainment and you actuelly learn things. I also love watching the show How Its Made. It goes to factories and teaches you how things are made and it's really cool. Okay maybe that's not the best example of an educational show but it's interesting.
One of the reasons my 5 year old brother is so smart is from watching TV. Well plus constantly being read to, and reading himself. I believe TV had a big part in making him speak sooner than other kids. The whole thing Postman says about kids expecting to learn with entertainment is pretty much true. But in my brothers case TV helped him get far ahead of other kids his age.
So I think TV is good and bad and I don't think it should be ignored all of the time. Just probably most of the time.
Sunday, August 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I agree with what you are saying. When reading Amusing Ourselves to Death I get the impression that he's saying all tv is, I won't say necessarily bad, but not beneficial. And I guess that's just a matter of opinion but I agree with Erin, there are some educational things to watch such as the Discovery Chanel, where in fact you can learn a lot. While there are probably way to many shows that aren't educational and mainly used for entertainment their are few educational shows that we may be able to benefit from. And while I do believe that sitting around all day watching tv is a very bad way to manage your time, some of the occasional entertainment shows are just fine. Its not bad to watch every once in a while, I know after a long day of softball I find myself sitting down to watch whatevers on. My point is not all television is necessairly bad or media based, most of it is, but there are a few truly educational shows to watch. I think its more how you let the tv and media effect you and run your life then the actual media itself.
I agree with Kirsten about some T.V. being educational. However, I don't think Postman means to say that ALL television is useless. He even says entertainment is fine, as long as you see it for what it is, entertainment. Discovery Channel may teach you things, but are they useful? Will they make you take action, or think a different way? I would argue that most of what is on Discovery Channel is useless information. Admittedly, some things are useful and the History Channel is good for teaching, but these shows still give us little time to process the information they're giving out. As far as Erin's brother speaking earlier, that is a benefit of television. However, family spending large amounts of time talking to him would have the same effects. I think television has potential to be educational, but it is still far less potential than typography has.
I agree with everyone here about why television is considered such a bad thing. Neil Postman makes it seem as though television is really bad and we should completely stop watching it, and go back in the days when technology wasn't as good as it is today. I think people should watch television because despite all the good reasons Postman has put in the book on how bad an impact television is on us, it does in someway teach us more. The discovery channel, history channel, and animal planet, all teach us new things everyday. Yes you have to put in consideration that watching television all day is a horrible habit, and makes you very lazy. Also the example Erin said about her 5 year old brother is smarter than other kids of same age is because he watched educational television, proves the fact that not all television programs are bad. I see tashiana's point that a lot of things these educational programs may have, won't give you action right away, but a show like survivor man may. You can learn new things everyday and when stuck in situations can use these tactics.
-Rishabh Mehta
Post a Comment