Wednesday, August 6, 2008

News is fun!

In chapter 6 & 7 of Amusing Ourselves to Death, I was kind of surprised to see that the news was just another form of entertaintment and not so much information. Out of all the T.V. shows out there, I figured that the news was the most valuable show to watch, but it seems to be just another regualr old show. The "news" is presented in a way that it makes it lose it seriousness. It's just entertainment. News programs tell a story and after a few seconds, switch to a new story. It gives us little time to actually think about and absorb the story just before. So now, when we here about some disaster on the news, or some murder or whatever else, people just go "oh, how awful.." and that's about it.

And also, those news shows where intelectuals of today are brought on to have a "debate" aren't really having a debate on the show. They're just sharing their point of view and aren't really debating anything. The host would talk about something that was briefly brought up, but is more concerned about giving these people their propper amount of time to speak. So if news has become just entertainment, and not something that we really take seriously, and those poltical talk shows are just smart people sharing ideas and not really making a point on a specific matter, then is television kind of dumbing all of us down? Is there really a point in watching the news then? Is a news paper the best way to get information about today's world? Or is it just the same as a television news pretty much?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

And also, those news shows where intellectuals [SIC] of today are brought on to have a "debate" aren't really having a debate on the show. They're just sharing their point of view and aren't really debating anything.

What? You'll need to explain more to me. I thought that in a debate, people were to express their argument and explain why they chose it. To counter a claim, statement, or question WITH their point of view on the topic. Perhaps I misrepresented you. Correct me.

So if news has become just entertainment, and not something that we really take seriously, and those poltical talk shows are just smart people sharing ideas and not really making a point on a specific matter, then is television kind of dumbing all of us down?

I need examples of a talk show and the type of talk and points being given that seem to dumb us down. Perhaps I'm demanding too much.

I like to watch the news. But, I like to read the newspaper even more (I read three different papers each day-LA Times, Press Telegram, and for some reason the OC Register. You'd be surprised at how a news story is covered in different sources).

But, I do believe there is one news group that fills your description- FOX NEWS (Or, how people like me call it, Faux News). Yes, it's awful. You want to see an example of a "debate" that is totally the opposite? The O'Reilly Factor. Bill O'Reilly calls people, asking them to express their views...Oh, and if Bill doesn't agree, he won’t debate. He'll insult and fling dust. Think Ann Coulter, male version and with a television show.

Tomato said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tomato said...

The news on television is meant to be entertaining so that people will watch it. Everything on television is meant to be entertaining to attract and retain viewers. The newspaper seems to be the same as the news on T.V.

The following link shows that there are somethings you can learn from shows on T.V.

http://cheaphealthygood.blogspot.com/2008
/07/cutting-calories-and-saving-doh-25.html

tashiana said...

I agree with Postman about news shows being pretty much useless as far as affecting our individual lives. Even before I read Amusing Ourselves to Death, I would refuse to watch the news, telling my parents that it was useless and wouldn't change anything in our lives. (However, this was less because I felt strongly about how we are given "daily news" than it was about me thinking the news was morbid and boring.)

I don't really think newspapers are the best way to get news, but at least they are typographic and give us some time to process the news. But how useful is the news they give us in the first place? I have no idea where, in modern times, we could find news that is useful and unbiased.

Unknown said...

I agree with Postman about news shows being pretty much useless as far as affecting our individual lives. Even before I read Amusing Ourselves to Death, I would refuse to watch the news, telling my parents that it was useless and wouldn't change anything in our lives.

I can understand how the News isn't the best it could be, but I find it ridiculous to a high degree to say it offers NOTHING. I, for one, have actually learned a few things. I know what's going on in my city, country, and around the world. Perhaps many of you are focusing on the crime stories, celebrity coverage, and such, but I am talking about the exposure of important progress in human history (Condition of countries, future education system plans, status of our state and city, scientific explanations and updates, and the list goes on).

I don't really think newspapers are the best way to get news, but at least they are typographic and give us some time to process the news. But how useful is the news they give us in the first place?

I offered a response to that earlier in this comment. I would really like to know what you think about the stories in the newspaper offering information on what's going on in the city, the field of science, the status of our country and where we’re headed, rather than random facts.

I have no idea where, in modern times, we could find news that is useful and unbiased.

If by biased you mean news coverage that exaggerates crime stories, I don't know. Other than that, I wouldn't know how to address this. You already enter with the presupposition that all news is useless and biased (Correct me If I am misinformed).