Sunday, August 3, 2008

Moving backwards?

As i have been reading Brave New World I have put little sticky notes on pages that pop out to me. Going back to one of these random pages I come across one, on page 81 by the way, in which they are all singing to Ford in a kind of religious way. Upon further inspection of the page and other pages surrounding it I noticed that all the people called to sing to Ford at this "meeting" , if we can call it that, have all been forced to come here. They are all singing and worshiping a man who they believe is a god.

Now I know what your thinking, sure we have examples like that this day in age, but not to this extreme. What it seems like is that they have actually taken a step backwards in time rather than forward. Back to ancient times when some men were actually seen as gods and worshipped to the full extent. One movie that you may have seen that has come out to DVD recently and shows this message a little bit is called 10,000 B.C. It is a good movie that I recommend.

One thing that I actually find a bit humorous with this religion bit is that they have taken the Cross which, I'm sure you know, is the Christian symbol of faith and have turned it into a T. As I was contemplating this thought I began to make random T shapes with my hands in front of the mirror and noticed that when you make the shapes it looks like you are calling a time out for a game. I'm not sure if the author meant to put this idea into his book or not, but i think that it sure ties in with the idea that they are always putting things in their society on time out and trying to preserve how things are and not going back to the way they were in the past. In a very distant way it is almost as if they are worshipping the idea of keeping things the same.

4 comments:

jdeleon said...

Wow, i didn't think of the T in that way. I see your point in how that idea works out. They're trying to freeze time, especially physically. They aren't aware that moving on is a good thing. Of course, there are bad things out there in the world. However, for every bad moment, there are 10 good ones that follow.

AFletcher said...

Henry Ford-->mass production-->assembly lines-->Model Ts

Unknown said...

However, for every bad moment, there are 10 good ones that follow

Is there any data or evidence for this claim?

Just kidding, although I would like to believe this.

Samuel Pesch said...

Well as obvious as you make the thing of the "model T's" sound Mrs. Fletcher at least I took a good guess at it what I thought it could possibly be! Haha