Friday, August 8, 2008

LBCC

Hey everybody. I'm not going to Mayfair anymore. I passed my test and I'm gonna go to Long Beach Community College. I'm a college student now! I'm gonna be taking a easy first semester with only 4 classes. I have to go in for only a couple of hours every day. I'm gonna take Calc., English 1H, Intro to psych, and guitar. Don't worry though, I'll be comming to visit a lot. I told you Cierra! I start school on the 18th of August. That's the worst part of this whole thing. When do you guys start?

5 comments:

AFletcher said...

I think we'd all trade an early start for a "couple of hours a day" schedule. Congratulations, Abbas! We are proud of you...you know, high school just isn't for everybody. Some people thrive in a high school setting, and others find it...unpleasant.

What happens with your diploma? Will it be from Mayfair, or what? And what is this mysterious test that you took? Explain, please.

Tlaloc Vasquez said...

hey abbas!



Im currently trying to take a few classes at Cerritos College...during the school year...like history and calculus. I have to go to talk to my counselors but I wanted to ask you if you ever tried doing that. Do you remember anything the counselors told you about taking CC over high school? Any information would help, thanks Abbas!

abbas said...

I took a test called the California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE) this test states that I have sufficient knowledge to take on college level coursework. Because I passed the test the state allows me to skip the remaining two years of high school and move on to college. This is not necessary though. If you wanted to, you could stop going to school altogether. This is a state issued exam so instead of getting my diploma from Mayfair, I got it from the state. The test is as easy as the CAHSEE and it costs $92. So taking this test is not hard, you just have to want to go to college. I hope this clarifies a lot.

abbas said...

Yeah i took a couple of classes at LBCC last year during the first semester. You really don't have to talk to your counselors if you want to take classes at a college. All you really need to do (at LBCC) is enroll in the class, pay, and start attending. If you're going to take classes like AP English and other APs this year, I strongly don't recommend you taking classes like History or calculus. I took beginners art during the first semester. The class wasn't hard but the amount of time you have to spend in the class was crazy. I had that class from 6:30-9:30 on Mondays and Wednesdays. That class was only 3 units. If you want to take calculus or history, you're looking at a class that is about 5 units. You will therefore spend more time in class and more time doing homework. Even though you're probably going to get a fee waiver for taking the class, the costs of books are very expensive. I'm taking calculus this semester and the books for that class only is about $260. It's much easier to take classes like calculus and history during the regular school day because if you miss a day during the semester, you miss a lot. You're going to have to miss a couple of days to keep up with your regular school day and your college work. Usually you need to take placement tests to take math or english classes, unless you get the prerequisite waived with the head of the department. As for the counselors, they told me not to take classes because once you take classes, Colleges see you as a college student, not a high school student. I don't really think that's true though. But if you mess up in college, it reflects how you will do in other courses. Thats how I think the colleges are going to see it. So when you are trying to apply to colleges and the colleges saw that you messed up in college course work, you will seem less attractive. But, thats just how I see it and thats just my opinion. I hope that helps.

Tlaloc Vasquez said...

I found a class (history) and its only from 8-9:30 Tuesdays and Thursdays. I also know what the books cost alot too because I took speech this summer and that book cost like $70. But I wanted to talk to the counselors because i dont know if I can get credits for it or if I can even be gone that long from school