Tuesday, August 12, 2008

E-Media Fast

Within the Introduction of the book Amusing Ourselves To Death by Neil Postman, Andrew Postman, Neil's on brings up a professor's little experiment called E-Media Fast. For twenty- four hours, each student had to abstain themselves from any electronic media. The professor mentioned that when it was brought up as an assignement, 90 percent of the class shrugged saying that it was no biggie. Though when they actually thought about it, they all realized the things they had to give up like- cellphones, computer, t.v., etc. , all of them groaned and moaned. She also mentioned that if they break the fast they have to start over from scratch. The papers she got back varied from "The Worst Day of My Life" to "The Best Experience I Ever Had". The professor mentioned that the students do things that they haven done in ages like talk to their neigbors or just have meanigful conversations with friends.

I think that this whole little experiment represents Neil's point in his book to take a course of 'action' other that to 'amuse' ourselves daily with technology. I'm not saying that we should actually take the experiment, Ms. Fletcher because I'm pretty sure that we understand the point Postman makes (nervous stare around the other students). I admit that if we ever did, the title of my paper would be "The Worsest Experience of My Entire Life" or something like that because I too 'amuse' myself daily with technology. I guess that what I'm saying is that if we like to involve ourselves to technology daily, we should sometimes enjoy the little things in life, something that has nothing to do with any electronic media because sometimes we find meaningful things in the simple things in life that may or may not change things in our life. Though seriously Ms. Fletcher, all in all we understand all of these so please no little experiments like the professor.

1 comment:

AFletcher said...

July 19: http://aplangsummer08.blogspot.com/2008/07/fletcher-challenges-you-to-e-media-fast.html

Also, please don't say "worstest" unless you're kidding around.