Sunday, August 3, 2008

Does the media really have a control over our lives ?


Hey everyone, I just returned from cheer camp today and while I was away I was able to grasp many ideas that could be contributed to our blogging assignment. First off I would like to start by asking if you guys think that the media could be considered a controller? I feel as though the media does have an impact on our lives; for example when I was at camp we had this cheer rally which included many small contest. But there was one that caught my attention, all the cheerleaders were divided into two teams one half was labeled as the red and the other half was labeled as the blue. The USA staff members picked eleven girls from each side to participate in the contest, I was picked and was representing the blue side. One of the individuals out of the eleven girls had to sit down in the middle and guess how many people would say yes or no to the questions that were being asked by the staff; the team that had the closest assumption recievd a point. The ten girls that were left were given a card that had yes on one side and no on the opposite side. The announcer asked many questions but then came to the question "Do you send or recieve over 50 texts a day?" and when it was time to reveal the cards I looked at all the cards that were revealed and all of them said yes (including myself) except for one. Another question that was asked was "Have you ever been on myspace for more than three hours in one day?" and when the cards were revealed most of them said yes. This made me realize that the media does have a huge impact on our society simply because we would rather text someone or send them a message over mysapce rather than sit down and focus on reading a book. So now that I was able to give you guys a few examples, how do u feel about this situation? What effect does the media have on our lives? Would you rather send a text message or a message over myspace rather than reading a book? Unfortunately to answer that last question I would say yes.

8 comments:

Anolin Ta said...

I agree that media has some form of control over our lives. For me, I would sometimes rather play World of Warcraft and other video games, and watch anime instead of reading a book that I know I have to read but just can't get into it. My own solution is to, if it isn't extremely hard to understand, multi-task.

AFletcher said...

FIFTY texts in a day? Holy moly.

What I am wondering is would you rather send a text or communicate through MySpace, or TALK? All of this one-way/time lapsed/editable communication done through electronic media seems to chip away at the art of conversation.

Another thing I want to know: what's up with that graphic? It's beautiful, but what is its purpose?

ashjohnson said...

I also would have to agree and say I'd rather sit down to a good action movie than read a book. Although sometimes I do prefer to read, just flipping on the television always seems more convenient to me. Hopefully I'll grow out of that.

Diamond Huffman said...

Hello, Ms. Fletcher to answer your question the initial social link represented by the mustard colored arrow reflects the direct communication, however to communicate more effectively through subsequent social links extended from a direct relationship (green circle) can be accomplished more efficiently via other means of communication.

AFletcher said...

My point, DH, is that if a writer doesn't directly tie their comments to a given graphic, the purpose of the graphic is obscure. The graphic itself -- although colorful -- does not illuminate your comments about cheer camp, text messages, MySpace, and reading. The graphic itself presents a web of relationships that is not discussed in the text.

kirsten shay said...

I agree that media does control some parts of life. While I do love reading I find myself preferring to watch movies, tv, or read tabloid magazines more then I used too. I find that as the older I've gotten the more I feed into the media whereas before I used to enjoy sitting down and reading a book. It seems as I get older I find media starting to control more aspects of my life.

Mackenzie C. said...

I definitely agree that media sometimes plays a controlling role in different aspects of daily life. In today's society, it's more common to find people texting or e-mailing each other than writing letters. As technology expands, more people get sucked into it, and sadly, some things, such as reading and writing, start to decline.

Anonymous said...

I would have to say that yes the media does distract me in my life. I would rather go out with my friends or be on the phone with my boyfriend than rather sitting down and reading a book. I think that the more technology we get, the more the media takes control of our lives. I mean the media is practically my life. I'm either texting, on the phone, on myspace or watching t.v. And yes, I would rather text or myspace somebody rather than just reading a book.