Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Can technology be the cause of your death?



Hey bloggers, I just completed my driving classes and while I was in the class there were many ideas that came to mind. One of the major topics in the class was whether or not technology could be the cause of your death. My answer to this was yes, because every eight minutes there is an accident taking place somewhere in the world. There were many cases where people have lost their lives due to the use of technology.

On the last day of class we watched a video explaining the major causes of teenage death. There was one incident where the teenage driver was texting and killed a two year old boy. She was sentenced to six years in state prison for vehicular manslaughter. Another incident involved a teenage boy trying to talk on his cellular device without a hands free set and crashed into a daycare killing two people including himself. The video were so graphic, I felt sick to my stomach. These are only two examples but there were more. Using a cellphone while driving is one of the major causes of teenage deaths. The point I am trying to get across to everyone is that technology has a huge effect on our lives and as you can see there are some cases where the effect can be fatal to you or someone else.

2 comments:

Mackenzie C. said...

Technology can definitely be the cause of your death. I think that's why California put the law that banned the use of cell phones while driving, especially for teenage drivers. We're just learning to drive at our age, and most of us aren't experienced enough to use a cell phone, ipod, etc. while driving. Some adults shouldn't even use electronics while driving. I definitely agree with you.

AFletcher said...

NO ONE should talk on the phone, text or fiddle with their iPod while driving. It doesn't matter how experienced you are. You are traveling so many feet per second, that even a 1-second distraction is enough to mow down an old man or a child on a bike or a pregnant woman...all horrible. We all tend not to worry about injury to ourselves, but speaking for myself, I could not bear it if I hurt someone else when I could have prevented it by simply attending to the road.