As I reread chapter eight Postman's book, Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business, he describes how traditional religion and religion on television both are different. They both are different because they give a different message. As Postman says, "The television screen wants you to remember that its imagery is always available for your amusement"(120). The purpose of religion on television is to entertain the people. However as Postman writes," The spectacle we find in true religions has as its purpose enchantment, not entertainment"(122). The purpose of traditional religions is to enchant the people. He also talks about how religion programs show tapes about people who are in need of help. They got help from watching the religious programs. The religion programs helped them allow Jesus to enter their heart.What do you think about this? Do think religion on television can influence the way a person looks at another religion? If so why?
- Joyti Gore
Vectorbeam Doom
1 hour ago
1 comment:
As a very religious person, I believe that traditional religion and religion on television are truly different; however, I disagree about how both are different because they give a different message because I believe that the messages delivered by traditional religion and religion on television are still the same which shows a similarity between the two.
The difference between traditional religion and religion on television is the way how the two forms spread the message and moral of the religion. In the traditional religion, the message is spread by showing the main virtues of the religion through thoughts, words, and actions. In religion on television, the message is spread through entertainment as it makes the message more clear to the people as entertainment can connect stories familiar to the people that can be connected with the message. This is how I think the two forms of religion differ, but I still believe that the message that is delivered is still the same message and the only difference is the delivery of the message.
Post a Comment