Friday, July 11, 2008

Skewed by the Media

Brave New World can be found in the fiction section. Knowing that, now we understand that the contents of the book do not create a reliable prophetic message for the future of the known world, but maybe a much exaggerated allegory [if such]. You see, Huxley did not receive a revelation in a dream that soma was going to be a tool to keep people happy and in line. He did not read in a fortune cookie that people were going to be put into social groups from birth. He did not use a telescope to read the stars, and reach the conclusion that sexual immorality was going to be evident in our youth. And he most definitely did not receive insight from the Great Juju God of Literacy to write these things down [but he stuck it to him anyway, and wrote a book].

All he had to do was take a look around, and observe the world. Organized religion has often times placed people in line, without questions lest you be called a heathen and sent to Hell [Oh, and there’s also theocracy]. Entertainment keeps us happy, and we tend to stop paying attention to the real world [have you ever heard the saying, “America is not at war, America is at the mall?”]. Abstinence is taught in schools [it wouldn’t if it wasn’t a problem. It’s obvious it is. Something interesting, when you have time, look up Sigmund Freud’s work on Psychosexuality]. People have been subjected to being placed in social classes or organized groups from birth [due to ethnic group, birthplace, or perhaps financial stance. This is highly evident in societies like Pre-Revolution France]. In comes Postman, exploiting all the things Huxley wrapped up in his book, and pushes them to the surface. The fact of us experiencing our own “brave new world” is not so farfetched. You see, we ourselves have allowed something like this to happen. We are our own downfall. No, television isn’t it. Media isn’t it. Soma isn’t it. We’ve allowed ourselves to be swept away by these things. It took us for a ride, and never brought us home. Huxley was right when he wrote we would be brought down by inflicting pleasure. Where is the outcry against this silent, but quickly becoming ever more powerful, death? It is a silent murmur among the ones of sore throats.

Television and media have just become the reasons we’ve subjected ourselves to this torment of ignorance. Even in youth, we no longer want to spend time reading. Oh no, not us! Big Birds my only teacher. The Today Show is my history class. Public image is my only conscience. Do television hosts offer you your only dose of information and therefore forge your opinions? Is Oprah your best friend? Is Tyra Banks the incarnate of all feminist agenda? And what of the teletubbies? These vile creatures of the deep are born with televisions instead of stomachs [disgraceful!], and impose the disgusting hideous ideology of watching television all day like a lazy sloth and falling in love with communism. Will humans become like these spawns of the devil?! Many of you say that you don’t want the happenings of Brave New World to happen to us, but can it be that the basic idea behind the crazy plot is already evident in our own world? Can it? Huh, huh, huh?! You can be the judge of that. Do we not need to worry about the complete diminishing of books, but our interest in them? Question your younger sibling when you catch them watching Sesame Street. Other than that, thanks for reading. Until next time…




Vun, Vun brave new vorld...Twoooo! Twooo brave new vorld...

8 comments:

Tlaloc Vasquez said...

I get where your coming from Sergio, but personally I can't really see the society of BNW becoming a reality anytime soon. Sure, we could sit here and point out every little thing thats wrong with television and we could hypothesize how the media and public discourse will control our lives- but we would not be assessing the reality of what television has actually become.

I think it would be safe to assume that, for most people, the television has become a part of everyday life. Thats not to say TV will be the ruin of humanity (at least not present day TV). How many times have you turned on your TV, flipped through all 2,000 channels, and thought "man, there is nothing on TV." I do it all the time, and I'm pretty sure everyone does too, or else we would all be labeled television addicts with no lives. I think anyone would rather hang out with friends than watch TV if given the chance.

Bottom line: present day television is no competition when challenged by the activities of daily life. The vast majority of the world would not spend their day watching television if they had a life.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment...

Just know, I don't think...No... I STRONGLY BELIEVE THAT BNW WILL NEVER BE REALITY.

And Second...

It's highly evident that most people like to watch television than read a book. That's exactly it, we SPEND TIME flipping channels. Just...flipping channels. We could be outside. We could be reading a book. Heck, we could be picking flowers. But my point is that television is offering an alternative, that we often subject ourselves to watching. And then it starts to influence us, like everything else does. But television has a lot of garbage.


SOOOOO......You know.

Bottom line: present day television is no competition when challenged by the activities of daily life. The vast majority of the world would not spend their day watching television if they had a life.

Too bad they don't. Television ratings can show you that.

But, yeah Tlaloc, I want to hear more. what do you think about...say...The Count being your younger sister's [if you have one, or a brother, your choice...or an invisible little sibling named Nevil] math teacher..
Lame. But, like Postman says early in his book, Children will begin to like school, as long as school is what they expect of it, opinions they often times get from tv.

Tlaloc Vasquez said...

Yes I do have younger brothers and sisters, and yes, they have been at one time or another, taught by big bird, bert and ernie. From the first hand experience that I can give, (big brother to 3 siblings) I believe that TV is a powerful tool of advertisement- especially to young children, who need to be entertained in order to learn. I also believe that the values and information being advertised through children's television is helpful to the development of many children.

I have a four year old sister who watches PBS on occasion and I can tell you that Sesame Street and Caillou have familiarized her with the alphabet and proper child behavior. Positive reinforcement of values is definitely something television should be used for more often.

On the other hand, this same 4 year old likes to veg out in front of family guy sometimes too. How or why she likes this show I have not yet figured out, but it is a negative example as to how television has evolved into mindless entertainment.

Andy Khong said...

hmm...This thread brought something interesting. Tlaloc and Sergio, you both said that our society is nothing close to what it is in BNW, and I totally believe that but there are things that are happening today that can be seen in BNW or heading to what is the society of BNW. Scientist have already made artificial sperm. Insane right. What point will pregnancy have if one can just artificially make a baby?

And really, we already have our soma.Its called antidepressants. Think about it. Huxley's society, people take soma to feel happy because they don't like having any other feeling. When we feel sad or depressed and see a professional about it, now-a-days they prescribe us antidepressants to numb the pain. America is the number one users of antidepressants. Just a little fact there. Its so commonly used, I'm wouldn't be surprised if it were sold over the counter.

I'm really not concerned in how much TV our society watches. Its the material they seem to watch. Which mainly consist of "reality"(and I put quotes because those shows seem real but aren't i.e. The Hills), violence, pain, crude humor, teen dramas, or sex. For example, the new ABC show, Wipe Out. Its basically a game show of people hurting themselves for an hour. I really don't understand that entertainment. This doesn't really give the sense of BNW society but more so of the movie Idiocracy's society, which is the theory that instead of moving forward to civilization we are actually moving backwards based on our media and easy going lifestyles we have now.

to conclude, society is at a standstill evolution wise. We aren't moving quite as fast to the future as we should be.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Andy

We meant that the exact happenings of Brave New World will never occur.

It's obvious Huxley was into science fiction.

Antidepressants aren't given to everybody.


I disagree with your last statement. We're moving pretty quickly, actually. Read Scientific American, trust me, it'll blow your mind.


And yes, you're right...Idiocracy was a nice movie that shows a soceity in where TV was adored, and everybody was dumb.

..Artificial sperm? Weird. Where's the DNA coming from? They just grab DNA from anybody? Or do all babies come out female because there is no real Y Chromosomes?

Andy, you got some 'splaining to do.

Unknown said...

...Well, actually...I changed my mind.
We're moving forward in technology, but that will probably add on to the "idiocracy" type lifestyle.

Andy Khong said...

i just remember watching that in Fox 11 News. I didn't really do any research on it though.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I thought your statement was for a similar society.

And yeah. I do agree that technology is becoming more like the technology of Idiocracy.