Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The English World

When I read Orwell's essay, I started to think, yeah, that is so true! I dislike it when I am reading a really interesting book and suddenly there is a gigantic word that I do not know. It makes everything confusing! Sometimes, authors write metaphors and such words that to me, it does not flow with the whole story. I believe that authors who write a lot unneeded words write them because they want to sound and look more educated and intelligent. Sometimes, these unneeded diction and words can be helpful when someone wants to learn more words but authors use so much that I don't think it helps people. The numerous gigantic words would hurt my brain if used every time and on every page. I also dislike people talking with such diction. It isn't that I do not understand what you are saying, it's that simple words help me understand you better! I can really relate to Orwell's essay and I was in complete agreement when he talked about how political talking is bad writing. I enjoyed reading this essay as I smiled at the end.

But it is true that you can't use vague language at certain times: meetings, speeches, interviews and interrogations. Simplicity is good, very good... depending on who you are talking to and what situation you are in. Some people in life give speeches that are like... what? It takes time to process what they are saying. It also makes me think, do they really mean what they say?

No comments: