I am relieved to finally say that I have finished Amusing Ourselves To Death by Postman. And it was difficult to understand at first, but once I read further on in the book, the more it made sense.
What caught my attention though were those last few chapters, starting with chapter 8: Shuffle Off to Bethelem.
Chapter 8 talked of religious television, showing different forms of entertainment and such. It encouraged people to watch it, believing in God. The preachers assume that what they teach in a church can be easily taught through television, without losing meaning.
Postman then quotes Pat Robertson on page 118 saying, "If the delivery is not the same, then the message is not the same."
After reading that quote, I understood the point Robertson was trying to make. I also agree with what Robertson said. I would try to make some example of it, but it probably wouldn't be as great.
I'm not religious or anything, but I believe that if you learn religion through television...it's kind of pointless, compared to learning it from a church.
Do you agree with Pat Robertson's quote?
-Alyssa Kocon
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I agree with Roberton's quote. The meaning of the information does change when something is delivered differently. The first example that came to my mind (it probably isn't a good one either) is the book vs. the movie. Watching a movie that is based off a book can be totally different even if all the facts are strait from the book. Just seeing it in a visual form changes how you once saw the pictures in your head that you created while reading a book. Now lets get back to the delivery in religion. When you hear something at a church, I think you are more likely to be paying attention. You are there to listen to what the religious figure is saying. But if you are watching it on TV, you are more likely to be multitasking. Respect is not a factor if you watch it on TV because who is going to see you? The message that is said on television isn't as valuable because Christianity can now be seen as just another televison program along with "Lost".
Post a Comment