Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Savage Speaks

"Don't take that horrible stuff. It's poison, it's poison." (191). Here in this quote John, also known as "The Savage", sees that the people working at the hospital are passing out soma to everyone because they do not want the kids processing to be ruined. John gets furious with them and shoves his way through the crowd and addresses the patients. He tells them all the bad stuff about soma, what it does to you, and as he said in the quote, he tells them that it is poison. I honestly do not believe it is poison, but I just think it is very bad for them to take and I think the soma will catch up to them when they get older. I believe John did this because he thinks that is what killed his mom. John somehow thinks that him tossing the soma out of the window will give all the people freedom from the world. While John was throwing out the soma, people were so addicted to it that they all started rushing towards him to beat him or maybe even kill him. His friend Helmholtz went in front of the crowd and they both started throwing punches for their own safety. Later, John, Helmholtz, and Bernard get caught by the police and it gets ugly.

Now my question is, is soma really a poison, or is John just making this up?


-Alex Martin

3 comments:

Christina Galvan said...

As far as an actual poison, no. I read in an earlier chapter that soma was manufactured to have all the effects of drugs without the after effects like hangovers. But the purpose of soma is to keep the people happy and naive. So it does poison the mind. I mean, given the choice between facing your problems or going on soma holiday till they go away, most people I think would ignore them (Even if they won't admit it). So John does have a point whe he says it's poison.

Anonymous said...

I don't think that it is actually a poison, but I do agree with Christina that it poisons the mind. The people become so addicted to it that they can't imagine living without it. To John it would be a poison because he has seen what it has done to his mother. In one part of the book when the doctor is assigning the soma to Linda, he gives her something like 20 tablets or so, per day. He admits that it would eventually kill her. So I can see why John would be upset.

Michelle Davis said...

John saw what the soma did to his mom and how it took over her. She relied on soma so much and it just got to the point where she just wanted to be on a "holiday" for the rest of her life, which wouldn't be much longer due to the massive amounts she ingested. I would be upset if my mom grew dependent on a drug and I didn't really know who she was anymore. Its when soma is abused that it becomes a poison. It can also be helpful, although i highly recommend not turning to it for the feelings you need. Iguess I do agree with Christina too. It poisons the mind and therefore, it does act as a poison.