Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Year 3000

When I first started reading Brave New World, all I could think of was what is wrong with these people, i don't even know if they are people. They act like psychiatric aliens. The fact that they don't know what a "Mother" is, is very disturbing.

How can they live like that? Do they think they can just get rid of nature like that? Don't you think Soma is some kind of happy drug they can't live without? (except for Bernard, he's a little weird)? Who invented that process of life anyway? Notice that the same bad habits/language affects them. They know how to curse, they can smoke cigarrette, they even know what sex is although they don't have any babies like that. What really go to me was the way they name every group of people ; The Alphas, Betas, Gamas, the Epsilons.... that's racism, don't you think so? It's kind of creepy to imagine us humans living that kind of life. I'm a little creeped out and disgusted. Any consolations?

What is Ford anyway, is that some kind of idol they worship maybe their God?

9 comments:

Aroutt said...

Of course, I'm sure most of us have had the same exact thoughts about it that you have. You're right-it's disturbing. Absolute disgust!

But other readers helped me realize that these people do not know anything different. Yes, we don't want to turn into that society, but they see everything perfect. They do not know any other way, therefore they have nothing to rebel against. And they are happy! Isn't that what matters?

But of course Bernard thinks differently. A glitch in the process of maintaining a stable, well-functioning caste system. He is not weird. Maybe to their society he is. But really, he is just showing true human instincts. In Huxley's society, they try to make people have as less feeling as possible. And that is why they are so stable, because they don't have feelings. But of course, feelings are a natural part of being a human right? So technical science can't cover that up.

Which is exactly why our society will never work like the one Huxley has written about. So I don't think you have to worry about the world turning into something like that! Well, at least that's what I believe.

Christina Galvan said...

I'm about 1/3 the way through Brave New World and i agree, it sickens me how they live their lives. I mean promiscuous sex, legal discrimination, conditioning of the mind? It's just so bizarre. I read on another blog that a utopia thrives on people not knowing any other way of life and its true here. The citizens of the World State are deprived of history. They don't know what a mother is, they can't comprehend the idea of what it means to be an individual, and the conditioning of the mind has left them unable to live in another environment. (Linda in chapter 7 is a perfect example) Also I think even if they could compare it to other societies, they would still choose their own.

And to answer your last question: Ford was the guy who founded the Ford Motor Company. He is known as the father of the modern assembly line and mass production. They do worship him as a god because he is what their society is based on. Mass production and identical parts that can easily be replaced.

Anonymous said...

I’m about halfway done with Brave New World. I think it is pretty interesting because it is entertaining and at the same time disturbing. I think that in their society, they all have a sense of purpose because they all have roles in their community. On the other hand, their social caste system is a form of racism because it gives more benefits to the people on higher ranks. I find it disturbing that they would clone and teach them their only role in the community. I think they should have the freedom to choose their own path. It is inhumane to manipulate people to follow and do their designated work.I think that their society shouldn’t predetermine the lives of the people.

On the other hand, having a predetermined life gives the people in the lower castes happiness and contentment. They won’t be expecting more than what they have already. In our point of view, it is a bad scenario. In theirs, however, it is a normal happy life.

It would be really weird if that happens in our society. I think there would be huge chaos in the world. I don’t think it is possible though.

Tlaloc Vasquez said...

When you refer to the naming of every group (alphas, Betas, Gammas) I don't think that can be classified as racism. Huxley meant it to be a class title or a rank of some sort. Almost like we call certain people doctors or professors in todays society. Unlike today however, Huxley morphed the titles into universal castes which define everyone. Physical stature, special privileges, jobs, and even intelligence are defined by these simple castes.

It is very easy to relate these divisions in Brave New World to racism or discrimination, because they are both a means of controlling the public.

On an unrelated note, when you mentioned nature and BNW, I did wonder: what would the future civilization do about epidemics or widespread diseases? What about the rare occurrence of brain disorders? This raises the question- can science rid nature of all diseases detrimental to humans?

Andy Khong said...

i agree with Tlaloc. I don't believe the social classes can be classified as racism because they were given that title at birth and it wasnt based on physical or cultural differences.

If I had to choose and example in which our society can relate to this social class, I would see that it resembles our blue and white collar jobs.

To respond to the hypothetical question asked by Tlaloc, I would say that they would most likely kill call those people of disabilities or exile them like they did the "savages" in the Reservation.

ashvieng said...

To Tlaloc's question, I believe that scientists can exterminate disabilities and diseases but I think science can kill people and the society as well. There is so much man-kind can do. Also, I think it is crazy that someone does not know the word mother and father. Then who bore you?? I like Bernard's character in the book and how he tries to make people see how he feels and understand that the way they are living is inhuman. Unlike the people in the society, he expresses human feelings and expresses himself That is why people think Marx is a bit wierd, because he does not do what everyone else does. Hopefully, this does not happen to our world, but in some ways, I think it is already happening.

Lizzy Ly said...

I'm going to expand on what Christina said. Yes, Ford, or to be more specific Henry Ford, was the person who founded the Ford Motor Company. You're rather on the spot for the reason of his use. They also form a T sign in thier worship which is dervied from his first T Model automobile.

I also don't think Ford is thier god, I think he is more of an idol or a highly respected figure. Religion doesn't exist within their society afterall.

As for Tlaloc's question, I do agree that science could eventually rid our society of diseases and disabilities. However, science also has it's faults and in the process of removing these negatives we may cause many deaths or worse.

michael tran said...

I too, found it disturbing when i started reading the first couple of chapters and i was also lost and confused. But as i started to read more and more, the concept of "mother" in a Huxley type of world is barbaric. They don't need mother's or father's creating one child at a time when they could mass produce them for work. They can live without soma but basically the government "issues" the masses to take them to mask thier emotions down and bascially obey the government. These groups of people such as Alpha's, Beta's and such, are merely division's, like somewhat social classes meaning the smartest is on top while the "inferior" beings are on the bottom. So it's not really being racist just division of intelligence. I find that Ford, in my eyes, are somewhat like a godly figure in this uptight society.

Joyti Gore said...

Soma is a happy drug and I do agree that the people in the society can not live without it. In the society of the novel Brave New World people use Soma to ignore emotional feelings, stress...etc. Also I believe that the different group of people (Alpaha, Beta, Gama, and Epsilon) is not based as racism, but it is just a class ranking (rich, middle class, poor).

I also, found it weird to imagine living in a society where things are already planned out before you are born. In this society most of people will just go along with what they are suppose to do, because that is what they have been taught by hypnopaedia at a very young age.