Friday, July 11, 2008

Change Is Not By Force

I've finished reading Brave New World. It's a very interesting book. I didn't admire John that much (no offense to the people who thinks he's cool). I don't understand the reason why he wanted to change the civilized world. Who does he think he is? The savior, not quite. He needs to know that you can't easily change people (especially those in the civilized world). He's a savage and he views things very differently from the others. What makes him think he can make the others think like he does? Everybody believes in whatever they want to believe in and nobody can make them believe in something else unless they want to.

This is the same thing that happened when I was reading Amusing Ourselves To Death. Postman tried to make us see a view different from the one we have about television. Yeah, we considered he has a point but will that make us to stop watching TV? No way.

Throughout the ending of the Brave New World I was wondering why John wouldn't just go away since all he wanted was to be alone? Any opinions?

3 comments:

Lizzy Ly said...

I've got a quick question. You call John a savage. May I ask on what grounds? Or are you just using the name that they call him in the book?

To me John isn't a savage, he's just different than the members of the so called civilized society.

What makes him think he can make the others think like he does?

I think you answered your own question here. Everyone believes what they want to whether it's influenced or not. It's human nature and John believes he can change people, so he's convinced he can. He isn't one of the people who were treated with all sorts of injections and chemicals as a baby or with hypnopaedia as a child.

Throughout the ending of the Brave New World I was wondering why John wouldn't just go away since all he wanted was to be alone? Any opinions?

He did try to go away. He moved to the lighthouse and tried to live a life of solitude, however, the press and whatnot simply found him too intresting to leave alone. He couldn't go back to the Savage Reservation or to the island with Bernard because the world controller would not let him. He's now part of an experiment within the civilized society with no way to leave. I hope that answered your question.

-- Elizabeth Ly

Joyti Gore said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joyti Gore said...

John wanted to change the "civilized world" because he was not used to the ideas there. He came from the "Savage Reservation" were they could believe in whatever they want to. Also, when I was reading the book I had disagreed with some of the things in the "civilized world" also.

The people in the "civilized world" are being taught to believe in what they should with hypnopaedia. Also they are taught to do what they should or not do at a very young age.

John did go away. He went to an abandoned lighthouse, but the people in the "civilized world" did not leave him alone which I thought was very sad. Also, John could not leave the "civilized world" to an island or to the "Savage Reservation" because he was being experimented.